Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: Freedom 2011 @ The Guvernment




A year ago I promised myself : no more raves, no more raves- I'm getting too old. Then, last night- there I was- back again inside the Guvernment jumping up and down and sweating profusely.


The main reason I went was to check out Steve Lawler - who's music and bad-boy style I absolutely adore. Added to the mix of talent was Funkagenda and Dirty South in the main room; Blake Jarrell and Armin Van Buuren in the Koolhaus along with many other DJ's. Due to how packed the place was ( I seriously thought I was going to die from suffocation) I made it a point not to move around too much from room to room so the DJ's I did end up catching was everyone in the main room and a bit of Armin Van Buuren in the Koolhaus. Musically, it was not the journey I was looking for but It was fun non-the-less. The house room was simply rocking the whole night ,and for anyone who really wanted to dance - it was the place to be! 


I was a little disappointed with Armin's set. I am really not enjoying the recent confusion that these top DJ's are having with their genre choice. It's like a marketing experiment gone horribly wrong. Tiesto did the same thing at Bal en Blanc- too cheesy- too many vocals. However there were a lot of points where the downtempo would kick in and get your booty moving. My suggestion to these guys is stick to Trance and the only DJ's who can do "Trounce" (my version of house and trance mixed together ) are Gabriel and Dresden. Everyone else really needs to lay off that shiz. 


Overall I received pretty mixed reviews about his set. I think the greatest pitfall was the fact that even though Koolhaus is massive, there was not enough space- confused little children running all over the place and no one wanted to stay put. 
Another thing -side note- I noticed at this party was how young the crowd was- in fact most of the young kids in there definitely looked and behaved under 19- I think Guv needs to keep a check on that stuff for their own sake.


Anyway, the main event- Steve Lawler as I predicted absolutely KILLED IT. Deep, groovy, brilliant. He really brought the energy to another level and I did not stop dancing for the full two hours he was on for-(3:30am-5:30am). Overall it was a pretty great night and an excellent job by the Guv team. Check out the video I put together to get a feel for the thing. Don't forget to press stop on the friskyradio player located on the side before checking out the vid. Enjoy!



Ash

No comments: